Who is a Geriatric Care Manager?
A Geriatric Care Manager (“GCM”) is a professional that has formalized training typically as a social worker, nurse, gerontologist, counselor, or other geriatric professional. Alvita Care’s Geriatric Care Management team is hand selected and considered thought leaders among their peer group. They are also members of the Case Management Society and other industry groups. Being a member of organizations is important so that Alvita Care can remain cutting edge on new theories and practices as it pertains to the geriatric community in NYC.
What is Geriatric Care Management?
Geriatric Care Management has a broad scope and can encompass anything that would pertain to caring for an elderly patient, in this case a senior citizen living in their home in New York City.
In short, it is the process of coordinating the needs and caring for a geriatric patient. Alvita Care’s Geriatric Care Management team has the mission to improve the overall quality of life for a senior living in New York City, either through socialization, improved dietary regime or simple medication management.
Other goals of the Geriatric Care Management team are reduce the need for hospitalization; with the ultimate goal of no re-hospitalization, thereby allowing the client to live in NYC independently and for as long as possible.
Why would a senior need Geriatric Care Management?
The single greatest concern that Alvita Care hears from family members that live far way from New York City is: “Who will take care of their loved one in their absence?” This is where the Geriatric Care Management team steps in – a home care manager can manage the care for a loved one while keeping the family informed on a real time basis. If there is an emergency hospitalization or doctors appointment, the geriatric care manager will accompany your loved on there and not leave their side. They will advocate for them while making sure they are as comfortable as possible.
Also, it is helpful to have a geriatric care manager if you need a little extra help managing routines, day to day affairs, or having an advocate for your healthcare needs when going to appointments in NYC. Our Geriatric Care Management team works in interdisciplinary teams that will coordinate all of your medical specialties that your doctors need to know about and to communicate your needs.
What do Geriatric Care Managers do in NYC?
What services do they provide?
A geriatric care manager will oversee and execute the care needed to cover all aspects of Body (physical), Mind (intellectual and occupational) and Spirit (social, emotional and spiritual).
Geriatric care managers may help in some of the following ways:
1. Serve as liaison between clients, families and care providers
- Communicate concerns and expectations
- Advocate for clients in hospitals, rehabilitation and nursing facilities
2. Identify needs and determine efficient solutions
3. Develop personalize care plans and goals
4. Coordinate care and accompany clients to appointments when appropriate
5. Monitor ongoing care to ensure it is effective and continues to meet the client’s needs
6. Ensure access to benefits and entitlements
- Communicate with insurance companies
- Coordinate access to benefits such as physical, occupational, speech therapies, visiting nurse services and home health care
- Link clients and families to available resources
- Provide information on long term planning solutions for financing care