The New York Parks and Recreation has set up a multitude of activities for seniors over the summer.
These programs are aimed at keeping older adults active, healthy, social and involved in their communities by providing various activities designed specifically for older generations.
This summer the New York Parks and Recreation department will offer fitness classes and community events. Check local listings, as activities vary from park to park.
Here are a few great opportunities for seniors to get involved:
Shape Up NYC
This program offers free fitness classes every week at many of the NY parks across the five boroughs. Classes vary from Yoga and Feldenkrais, all focusing on age friendly exercises to emphasize body and alignment awareness through movement. Additionally, nutritionists offer classes that promote healthy eating on budget, weight loss, and healthy eating during holiday seasons – great advice for people of all ages. Check here for more information on exactly where and when classes meet.
NY Parks and Recreation has set up a program called BeFitNYC which offers free and low-cost classes in a wide range of activities for all ages. Ranging from a twelve week fitness boot camp to adapted swim lessons, these classes are offered all over the five boroughs and are friendly to all ages. Classes and availability vary by season, so make sure to check local listings.
NY Parks and Recreation is also offering a wide assortment of senior swimming programs during the summer to help keep seniors engaged while also keeping cool. Programs like Senior Swim at select outdoor pools are open to everyone over the age of 62 during select hours during the day to allow adults to swim in a stress-free, quieter environment. Other programs like Adult Lap Swim offer lap swimming for fitness for those above the age of 18, and can be a great way to exercise.
The hours are generally held in the early morning and evenings and can be a nice way to start and/or end the day. Other programs offer water aerobics for people of varying abilities and people with varying physical limitations through the Adapted Aquatics program. Again, check local listings because these programs are offered at select pools during select times.
Other events include outdoor movies in the park in the evening and various events for seniors. Take advantage of the community programs offered by NY Parks and Recreation this summer, get involved, and don’t let age be a reason to stop exercising and socializing!
- Preventing Falls in the Elderly Living in the NYC Metro Area - March 31, 2017
- Aging and Depression in the Elderly in NYC - March 30, 2017
- Aging in Place – Seniors Who Choose to Live at Home - March 29, 2017
- Mindfulness & Seniors Living in NYC - March 28, 2017
- Type 2 Diabetes Prevention in NY/NJ Seniors - March 27, 2017
- Elder Bruising and Prevention - February 22, 2017
- Hiring a Home Care Agency in New York City - February 21, 2017
- Hip Fracture Prevention in the Elderly - February 20, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy in Elderly Individuals Living in NYC - February 19, 2017
- Flu Prevention in the Elderly in NY & NJ - February 18, 2017