At every age, having great mental health requires work.
The New York City Department for the Aging states that good mental health is judged by one’s ability to be flexible, have optimism and a sense of humor, along with the conviction that life is worth living.
Though it is common thought that depression and anxiety are a natural part of the aging process, there are means by which to prevent and treat both issues.
Healthy Lifestyle Choices
There is no getting around the fact that general healthy lifestyle choices promote overall good health. No smoking, a balanced diet and daily exercise will not only maintain good physical function, but help the brain fuction at its best.
The Talking Cure
A geriatric psychologist specializes in mental diseases that mainly affect the elderly. Getting proper checkups and maintaining steady appointments will help to both catch and alleviate any possible issues. Older adults have a range of emotional needs, ones that differ from those in their younger years. It is important to remember this.
Apart of feeling the gravity of age is losing one’s independence. Preserving a sense of control will help to bolster both self esteem and control, and possibly fight off depression. Apart of this too is getting around as if age isn’t an issue. Becoming involved in community activities, attending art events, operas and plays and in total, feeling invested in life is a good way to maintain joy.
Get Rid of Shame
There is much stigma attached to old age and the ramifications of aging. This adds to both depression and anxiety. It is necessary to remember (and reinforce, for the adult children and caregivers reading) that there is nothing wrong with age, and ultimately, that it does not have to be a limit.
- COVID-19 Safety Precautions – Safe at Home with Alvita Care - October 15, 2020
- Preventing Falls in the Elderly Living in the NYC Metro Area - March 31, 2017
- Aging and Depression in the Elderly in NYC - March 30, 2017
- Aging in Place – Seniors Who Choose to Live at Home - March 29, 2017
- Mindfulness & Seniors Living in NYC - March 28, 2017
- Type 2 Diabetes Prevention in NY/NJ Seniors - March 27, 2017
- Elder Bruising and Prevention - February 22, 2017
- Hiring a Home Care Agency in New York City - February 21, 2017
- Hip Fracture Prevention in the Elderly - February 20, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy in Elderly Individuals Living in NYC - February 19, 2017