Moving can be stressful for anyone.
Helping elderly parents move, however, is an especially lengthy and complex process and can be stressful for the entire family involved. Elderly family members might be relocating to an assisted living facility, a nursing home, or downsizing to a smaller home. But no matter where you are relocating your elderly parents, stress is quick to follow. Here are some helpful tips for moving elderly parents that may help avoid fights between family members and ease the stress of relocation.
1) Prepare ample moving supplies!
When moving anyone, but especially your elderly parents, it is important to have an ample amount of supplies and labeling materials. Making labels may seem like a time consuming task, but when you are moving your elderly parents this can save a great hassle when it comes time to unpack and locate items as quickly as possible.
2) Donate, Donate, Donate!
Take this as an opportunity to help your elderly parents sort through all of their belongings and donate the items that are no longer in use. Use this as an opportunity to get your elderly parents more organized and downsize the quantity of belongings and clutter. There are a lot of great charities that will gladly take your elderly parents belongings and many of them will even come and pick up the items from your home free of charge!
3) Hire professional movers.
Do not think twice about this one. Yes, hiring professional movers will be an added cost. But when compared to the mess and stress involved with moving your elderly parents all on your own, the expense is easily justifiable. Make sure to do your research before selecting the moving company—ask around! Word-of-mouth recommendations tend to be the best advice.
4) Move on a weekday.
This might be a simple suggestion but a valuable one. When moving your elderly parents, if you select a weekday many stressors will be decreased because most businesses will be open! Be it a bank, post office, or favorite diner— moving during the week means these establishments will most likely be open when you need them!
5) Pack an over-night bag and don’t forget the medications!
When moving your elderly parents, something will inevitably go wrong. Whether it be movers running late or the power not turning on at the new location, it is best to be prepared for what may come. To help ease the anxiety in such a situation, it is important to pack an overnight back with appropriate clothing and have their medication easily accessible in case they may have to stay at another family member’s home overnight. This will surely help decrease the stress involved in moving elderly parents.
- COVID-19 Safety Precautions – Safe at Home with Alvita Care - October 15, 2020
- Preventing Falls in the Elderly Living in the NYC Metro Area - March 31, 2017
- Aging and Depression in the Elderly in NYC - March 30, 2017
- Aging in Place – Seniors Who Choose to Live at Home - March 29, 2017
- Mindfulness & Seniors Living in NYC - March 28, 2017
- Type 2 Diabetes Prevention in NY/NJ Seniors - March 27, 2017
- Elder Bruising and Prevention - February 22, 2017
- Hiring a Home Care Agency in New York City - February 21, 2017
- Hip Fracture Prevention in the Elderly - February 20, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy in Elderly Individuals Living in NYC - February 19, 2017