In continuing our conversation about hobbies for seniors in New York City, walking tours must be mentioned.
Tourists from all over the world use these guided and unguided tour routes to explore New York City and enjoy sights new to them. Seniors, even the most seasoned New Yorker, will find these to be both refreshing and adventurous. NYC, the ever changing city, always offers something new.
Central Park offers walking tours in a multitude of languages and themes. Four are featured on the website: the Arts and Architecture tour, Movie and TV Sites tour, Hidden Secrets tour, and the Holiday Sights tour. Not only do these sound suitable for summertime fun, but for wintertime family activities.
Big Onion Walking Tours offers a wide range of tours as well, spanning the entirety of New York City. From the relatively newly renovated highline to the “original multi-ethnic eating” tours, there is sure to be something here for everyone. Since 1991, when Big Onion Walking Tours was founded, it has received awards including “Best Walking Tour in New York City” by New York Magazine and “Best Urban Walking Tour in New York” by Forbes.com.
Paying for a tour of the city might be a good treat, but it isn’t necessary. The New York Times recommends choosing a neighborhood and plotting out a blue print of your day. If stops are needed to prevent arthritis pains or fatigue, plan those in. In addition, exploring local eateries along the way will enrich the experience and keep you invested the entire time. In addition, keep an eye out for historical markers and neighborhood notables. The bridges can be a part of your route, if not the route. And of course, NYC isn’t just Manhattan:feel free to check out the outer boroughs as well!
- Preventing Falls in the Elderly Living in the NYC Metro Area - March 31, 2017
- Aging and Depression in the Elderly in NYC - March 30, 2017
- Aging in Place – Seniors Who Choose to Live at Home - March 29, 2017
- Mindfulness & Seniors Living in NYC - March 28, 2017
- Type 2 Diabetes Prevention in NY/NJ Seniors - March 27, 2017
- Elder Bruising and Prevention - February 22, 2017
- Hiring a Home Care Agency in New York City - February 21, 2017
- Hip Fracture Prevention in the Elderly - February 20, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy in Elderly Individuals Living in NYC - February 19, 2017
- Flu Prevention in the Elderly in NY & NJ - February 18, 2017