As an adult child, you might make the decision to invite your elderly parent to move in with you.
Having mom or dad close to you makes you less anxious about leaving them alone and more easily able to care for them. In addition, it never hurts to have an extra hand and pair of eyes to help watch the kids!
But often times, having an additional person to care for in the home can add a lot of stress to your life. Living with your elderly parent requires a lot of additional time and energy in order to devote yourself to their needs. The pile of laundry adds up, there are more meals to prepare, and more medical appointments to attend. When caring for multiple people at the same time, it is easy to get lost in the long list of worries and errands. For this reason, it is imperative for your well-being that you carve out time in your schedule for YOU.
At Alvita Home Care, we believe honesty is the best policy and suggest that you directly tell your elderly parent that you need some time for yourself. Taking time for yourself might feel selfish at first but in the long run it will actually help your elderly parents who are living with you.
When you have time alone, you have time to take a break, relax, relieve your stress, and regain your enthusiasm. This will make you a better son or daughter, and a better spouse and parent as well. Apart from work, we suggest that you spend at least a half-hour each day to make sure you can do what’s necessary in the home to take care of yourself. This may also take the form of a walk, a run, a nap, or a quick read before bed. Rest assured that this will make a big difference to your days and a tremendous help to the work involved in caring for an elderly parent!
- Preventing Falls in the Elderly Living in the NYC Metro Area - March 31, 2017
- Aging and Depression in the Elderly in NYC - March 30, 2017
- Aging in Place – Seniors Who Choose to Live at Home - March 29, 2017
- Mindfulness & Seniors Living in NYC - March 28, 2017
- Type 2 Diabetes Prevention in NY/NJ Seniors - March 27, 2017
- Elder Bruising and Prevention - February 22, 2017
- Hiring a Home Care Agency in New York City - February 21, 2017
- Hip Fracture Prevention in the Elderly - February 20, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy in Elderly Individuals Living in NYC - February 19, 2017
- Flu Prevention in the Elderly in NY & NJ - February 18, 2017