My elderly father has been complaining for some time now that everything he eats makes him feel nausea and sometimes he even vomits! He is starting to lose weight and I am getting concerned. Your previous suggestion of putting Ensure into a McDonald’s milk shake was pure magic so I hoped you could help again! What should I make my aging father so he doesn’t feel nauseous?
Nausea and vomiting can affect how much you eat and what you eat, especially with the elderly. Although your aging dad might say that eating is the last thing on his mind, rest assure there are foods that can ease his discomfort and provide energy and strength
• Dry foods (such as crackers, toast, dry cereals or bread sticks) can provide nutrients and help settle your elderly loved ones stomach. Try not to add any butter or jam to the dry food as that might upset them
• Non-fat yogurt, fruit juice, sherbet and sports drinks may also be effective in diminishing symptoms and are easy for the elderly to chew
• Potatoes, either baked, boiled or mashed, rice, cream soups made with low-fat milk, fruit-flavored gelatin, pretzels and low-fat puddings are easy to digest
Foods to Avoid With Elderly Nausea or Vomiting
• Spicy or hit foods! Also, your aging father should avoid smelly foods or greasy foods because this can agitate his stomach further.
A final note, if your elderly father has vomited, please try and wait six hours before he should try to eat solid foods again.
If his condition persists, you should definitely seek prompt medical attention from a medical professional.
Hope she feels better,
- Preventing Falls in the Elderly Living in the NYC Metro Area - March 31, 2017
- Aging and Depression in the Elderly in NYC - March 30, 2017
- Aging in Place – Seniors Who Choose to Live at Home - March 29, 2017
- Mindfulness & Seniors Living in NYC - March 28, 2017
- Type 2 Diabetes Prevention in NY/NJ Seniors - March 27, 2017
- Elder Bruising and Prevention - February 22, 2017
- Hiring a Home Care Agency in New York City - February 21, 2017
- Hip Fracture Prevention in the Elderly - February 20, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy in Elderly Individuals Living in NYC - February 19, 2017
- Flu Prevention in the Elderly in NY & NJ - February 18, 2017