Elderly finances are a complicated matter, and even for persons with years of real world budgeting experience, they can be a hassle.
Because of limited income, if any at all, the elderly often have to budget wiser than most. There are several easy means by which to do so, including locking off the lights when they aren’t is use and taking short baths. Here are a few tips.
There is an app for that! Mint.
Mint is a free, simple app that allows users to add their various accounts to record, analyze spending and saving habits. Added notifications allow for easy bill payment and tracking spending. This not only allows for users to know where every penny is going, but exactly where spending can be cut.
Websites: the next best thing.
The National Council on Aging also has resources for seniors to save in a savvy manner. Their toolkit is available: http://www.ncoa.org/enhance-economic-security/economic-security-Initiative/savvy-saving-seniors/savvy-saving-seniors.html#toolkit%201They also have a list of ten recommendations that are hard to beat: http://www.ncoa.org/enhance-economic-security/economic-security-Initiative/savvy-saving-seniors/top-10-things-all-seniors.html
Ask for the Senior Discount.
Senior discounts are available at most business. Ultimately, it never hurts to ask. A few pennies pinched here and there will surely add up.
Buy in Bulk
Pantry items, toilet tissue and feminine products are but three necessities that can be bought in bulk. Buying in bulk as a family (if a parent uses a minimal amount of these things) can also benefit multiple wallets. Only one membership will be needed, though your parent will save while you do too.
There are most definitely additional money management tools available online for the elderly, to aide cutting spending. Research is key!
- Preventing Falls in the Elderly Living in the NYC Metro Area - March 31, 2017
- Aging and Depression in the Elderly in NYC - March 30, 2017
- Aging in Place – Seniors Who Choose to Live at Home - March 29, 2017
- Mindfulness & Seniors Living in NYC - March 28, 2017
- Type 2 Diabetes Prevention in NY/NJ Seniors - March 27, 2017
- Elder Bruising and Prevention - February 22, 2017
- Hiring a Home Care Agency in New York City - February 21, 2017
- Hip Fracture Prevention in the Elderly - February 20, 2017
- Muscular Dystrophy in Elderly Individuals Living in NYC - February 19, 2017
- Flu Prevention in the Elderly in NY & NJ - February 18, 2017