5 Important Questions Ask Your Home Health Agency about Elder Care
Looking to hire an agency to help provide senior care for yourself or a loved one? Do you ever wonder what important information you should be making sure to ask the agency who is taking care of your elderly parents? Here are some important questions you should ask your home health company:
1) How will you be notified in the case of an emergency that occurs while an aide or a nurse from the company is providing senior care?
One of the most important functions of home health care is to be aware of any emergencies that occur in the home of your elderly parents or loved ones. It is important to know the steps that would be taken in the case of a fall or other medical emergency that requires immediate medical attention or hospitalization.
2) What are the home health care company’s qualifications and requirements for hiring home health aides?
There are many different home health care certifications and training that aides can go through to become licensed home care professionals. It is important to know if the aides looking after your elderly parents or loved ones are Certified Nurse Assistants, Certified Home Health Aides, Personal Care Assistants, or have gone through other appropriate and licensed training.
3) How does the home health company develop a proper care plan that fits the needs and preferences of your elderly parent or loved one?
The level of commitment to effective senior care can be evident through the home care company’s detailed attention to developing a proper care plan for your parent or loved one. This care plan must be communicated effectively to both the family and the aides and be consistently evolving depending on changing needs of the patient.
4) How does the home health company assure care for your parents or loved ones in the case an aide or caregiver is absent or has an emergency on a particular day?
It is important to make sure that your elderly parent or loved one is looked after even when their regular aide cannot make it to work on a certain day. Finding out how immediately and efficiently an agency can provide relief care for your parent is an important measure of agency quality.
5) Can the home care company provide references about the quality of care they provide from other clients whose elderly parents were taken care of by the company’s aides and nurses?
Hearing and reading live testimonials from other company clients is the best way to assure that the home care company you are hiring for senior care is reliable. The ability to speak to experienced individuals will allow you to ask questions and make sure the agency’s claims and qualifications are up to par with the standard of care you want for your family.
Alvita Care provides Home Health Care Aides to Seniors in greater NYC & Long Island NY
Our caregivers are available to assist with personal care, household services, respite and/or companion care while bringing exceptional compassion, skills and knowledge about Alzheimer’s and dementia to our clients.
Links to services that our caregivers supplement senior home care with:
Activities of Daily Living
– Elderly Incontinence
– Organizing Tips for Homes with Elderly Parents
– Safety for Elderly Parents at Home
Respite & Relief Care
– How to Show your Caregiver that You Care
– Finding the Fun in Aging
We Have Special Skills for Helping Patients with Alzheimer’s or dementia:
We have specially trained nursing skills for Palliative and Hospice Care in New York City
We have specialized skills in Geriatric Care Management: