Why Home Care?
The benefits of receiving in-home assistance are numerous and extend beyond those to the individual receiving care.
Engaging a qualified third-party care provider can relieve stress on family members that would otherwise be responsible for providing care.
In many cases, the cost of receiving personalized in-home care may be less than living in an assisted living or nursing home facility.
- 82% of people say that they would prefer to stay in their homes as long as possible, even if they require help caring for themselves
- Seniors receiving non-medical home care required 25% fewer doctor visits each year, on average, than seniors who did not use such care
- Provides seniors needing care much needed dignity and independence
- Home care can often be customized and personalized; it typically provides greater flexibility than the regulated structure of hospitals and nursing homes
- Home is associated with comfort, security and positive feeling; when we are not feeling well, we all want to be at home
Benefits to Family Caregivers
In addition to the individual receiving care, family members can also benefit from home care.
- 90% of family-member caregivers say they now worry more or feel more stress, and 70% spend less time with other family members and friends.
- 50% of caregivers get preventative care for themselves less often than they used to, and 10% report more frequently misusing alcohol or prescription drugs.
- Without assistance, families that provide over 20 hours a week of care to their elderly family members also report loss of appetite, loss of sleep, worsened headaches and increased pains.
- An average of $304,000 is potentially lost in income and retirement funds (i.e. Social Security benefits, full-time salary or wages, and contributions to private pensions) when a family member leaves work or drops back to part-time work in order to care for older relatives
Relative Cost of Home Care
In-home care provides a cost effective alternative to residential options such as nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
- A private-room full-service nursing home in New York City costs on average $381 per day or $139,065 per year. More than cost of around-the-clock live-in help
- Assisted living facilities in New York City cost on average $4,503 per month or $54,036 per year, and often still require help with activities of daily living at additional cost Equivalent to 60 hours per week of in-home care
- Both nursing home and assisted living facility costs can be an addition 15% or more in Manhattan
- Fixing to Stay: A National Survey of Housing and Home Modification Issues, AARP and Greenwald Associates, Inc., May 2000.
- Paid In-Home Care: More Care & Better Care for Seniors, Home Instead Senior Care, 2010.
- Caregivers in Decline: Findings from a National Survey – Evercare Study by Evercare and the National Alliance for Caregiving, published September 2006.
- “Caregiving Costs to Working Caregivers”- MetLife Study, by the MetLife Mature Market Institute, the Center for Long Term Care Research & the National Alliance for Caregiving, in the Policy of New York Medical College Journal, published June 2011.
Market Survey of Long-Term Care Costs, by the MetLife Mature Market Institute & LifePlans, Inc., October 2010.
Alvita Care provides Home Health Care Aides to Seniors in greater NYC & Long Island NY
Our caregivers are available to assist with personal care, household services, respite and/or companion care while bringing exceptional compassion, skills and knowledge about Alzheimer’s and dementia to our clients.
Links to services that our caregivers supplement senior home care with:
Activities of Daily Living
– Elderly Incontinence
– Organizing Tips for Homes with Elderly Parents
– Safety for Elderly Parents at Home
Respite & Relief Care
– How to Show your Caregiver that You Care
– Finding the Fun in Aging
We Have Special Skills for Helping Patients with Alzheimer’s or dementia:
We have specially trained nursing skills for Palliative and Hospice Care in New York City
We have specialized skills in Geriatric Care Management: